Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Pio XII ... Initial Reaction

Sunday, March 10th
We received our training towns Friday afternoon. I was assigned Pio XII. Its  is the most remote of the business sites, supposedly. But I have electricity, real toilet and a shower. The shower does not have hot water but it is so hot here that it is not necessary. Luckily, at night it cools off.
My family is great. I am their ninth volunteer. My mother is great. She realizes that I do not eat like a Nicaraguan so she serves me a normal sized portion and gives me water with lunch and dinner. You would all be surprised to find out I am drinking it! So far I have had chicken (lunch Sat), red meat (lunch Sun), beans & rice (dinner Sat). Lunches come with cabbage salad topped with tomatoes. And yesterday I had tostones and platanos. Delicious.
My host mom has 5 kids, 4 daughters and 1 son. The oldest is 31 and the youngest is 12. One of the daughters has 2 kids. Freddy is 7 years old and Luisa Fernanda is about 18 months. We have played Uno a dozen times! They love it. Even the 20 year old son played with us. Everyone has been correcting me, which is great. I have not met my host dad yet, but I met two siblings of my host mom. They have a guard dog, a dog that roams around, free roaming chickens and a parrot. The parrot is a little annoying. It can imitate a baby crying perfectly. So I always think the baby is crying.
My room is a good size. I have a twin sized bed, which is now covered with a mosquito net. I unpacked and repacked my stuff so everything is pretty organized. We will see how long I can keep it that way.
There are 3 other volunteers in my village. So far so good. Two are from California and one from Conn.
We live super close to one another so we can see each other very easily. Starting tomorrow we are only supposed to speak Spanish to one another. ¡Dios mio!

No comments:

Post a Comment