Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Our first day of training

Monday, March 11
Today was my first real day of the training portion. Soy una aspirante a voluntario del Cuerpo de Paz.
The first three weeks the lessons are at my house. I was woken up by the rest of my family members getting ready for work. Everyone started moving around at 545am.  The walls here don´t reach the ceiling so you can hear EVERYTHING, including when you go to the bathroom.  My room is next to the kitchen and living room so once people start moving around, I can hear everything. At 630 my alarm went off but there was someone in the bathroom consistently until 715.  I live with 9 people and we have one bathroom.
My name here is Maria because Jamie supposedly is too hard to say. It´s the name I used in Spanish class in school. Most of the time I realize when they want to talk to me but not always.
I had salty bread and coffee for breakfast.  It´s instant coffee, not the coffee Nicaragua exports.  A lot of sugar is added so it is delicious!
We went to the high school in the neighboring town to meet the teacher we are going to work with beginning next week.  We took a mototaxi to get there, which is just 3 wheeled moto. There is enough space for 3 in the bag and one on on either side of the driver so the five of us rode in the same one. We will be working with a woman named Maria . Some things of note!
· The students all wear uniforms, blue bottoms and white shirts
· The school doesn´t have a telephone
· The classrooms are not in one building.  The windows and doors open to outdoor walkways and courtyards
· The gate is closed between 6pm and 6am
· Classes average 40 students
At night, I helped my host brother Freddy (he is 7 years old) with his hw.  It was spelling. We reviewed upper and lower case letters.  

No comments:

Post a Comment