Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A Hot Shower and AC…



… the plus side of getting sick.

The Wednesday night before Easter I was in excruciating pain from about 1-4am. The pain reminded me of kidney stones. I ended up throwing up three times too. Then Thursday I was fine. Thursday night from 4am until 10am I was in unbearable pain. I constantly felt like I had to go to the bathroom but then I couldn’t go. It was AWFUL. At 7:30am on Friday, I called the emergency medical number. I told him that I just wanted antibiotics but he was worried it was something more serious than a kidney infection. Since it was Good Friday there was no real public transportation so the driver on call had to come pick me up and bring me to the hospital. It was a super nice hospital. It was also pretty empty. It is a private hospital. I had a blood and urine test and an ultrasound. There were blood cells in my urine, and my blood didn’t look great—the doctor said my blood cells were out of range. Also, in the ultrasound they found some remains in my right kidney, which are common if there is or was a blockage in the ureter. In other words, it looks like I passed a kidney stone. I was on antibiotics and a muscle relaxant and I think I passed them already so I feel better. They wouldn’t let me return to my host family so I had to stay in a hotel in Managua. It was my first hot shower and sleeping with AC since my last shower at the hotel in Washington DC. And I’m a little embarrassed I called and then got better. I just wanted antibiotics because UTIs and kidney infections are terrible. Thankfully, I am back to normal and feeling healthy!

The PC staff here is incredible. They really have thought of everything. There is a doctor and driver always on call. They have a list of taxi cabs we can call in Managua and we just fill put a ticket and the PC office covers the cost. Also, everyone is part of the PC family plan, which means we can call and text anyone in the plan and even the taxi drivers are in the plan.

I attached some pictures of the hotel- AC, Hot Shower, Hair Dryer

 


 

 I had food delivered because there really isn't a place near the hotel. Check out how they spelled my name.
 
The hotel had over 100 channels, including ABC. I was able to watch Shark Tank in Nicaragua at the same time my parents were watching it in NJ.

5 comments:

  1. I love the positivity! Glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! It was not fun. Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you have recovered Geimmy Teteyiorwus :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So relieved to hear it wasn't something more serious and you are feeling better already!

    ReplyDelete