Thursday, August 22, 2013

What we collected on our walk...

I went for a walk with my host parents a few weeks ago to one of the communities. We went to place an order for yucca. My host mom wanted to go straight to the source so we went to this sweet woman´s house who has a small piece of land where she grows a variety of things including yucca. It took us about 45 minutes to get there. While there, I learned that one of my students is her son so I spoke to him for a few minutes about what I am doing here. It is super common to give people fruits and vegetables when you have an abundance. This woman had a large melecoton (starfruit) tree and she gifted us a large bag full of them to take. We used them to make frescos, homemade juice (bottom right). Her neighbor had a cacao plant and we asked him if he would give us one (top right). We left them in the sun for about 2 weeks to dry out the seeds and brought them to the mill to grind them into a powder to make frescos. The spiky one is called guanabana. It is also known as soursop in other parts of the world. According to Wikipedia, "the flavor is described as a combination of strawberry and pineapple, with sour citrus fruit notes contrasting with an underlying creamy flavor reminiscent of coconut or banana." I would never be able to describe a taste as thoroughly as a Wikipedia contributor has been able to.


No comments:

Post a Comment